Christ Lutheran Church was formed on July 20, 1947 as a member of the Virginia Synod of the Lutheran Church in America. With 51 confirmed members, the congregation met in what is now the Fredericksburg Community Center. From 1948 to 1959 the present church buildings were begun, the parsonage was built by church members and dedicated the following year. In July 1971 the present sanctuary was dedicated. In the late 1970's, the parsonage was converted to a parish house for offices and Sunday School meeting rooms. The newest addition came in 1989 and serves as educational rooms, choir room, and library, as well as a meeting place for many church and community groups.
Throughout its growth of five sanctuaries and nine pastors, Christ Lutheran Church has striven to fulfill its purpose: