Sunday Worship Services with Holy Communion at 9am and 11am
Church Office: 540-373-5087

History

Christ Lutheran Church was formed on July 20, 1947 as a member of the Virginia Synod of the Lutheran Church in America. With 51 confirmed members, the congregation met in what is now the Fredericksburg Community Center. From 1948 to 1959 the present church buildings were begun, the parsonage was built by church members and dedicated the following year. In July 1971 the present sanctuary was dedicated. In the late 1970’s, the parsonage was converted to a parish house for offices and Sunday School meeting rooms. The newest addition came in 1989 and serves as educational rooms, choir room, and library, as well as a meeting place for many church and community groups.

Throughout its growth of five sanctuaries and ten pastors, Christ Lutheran Church has striven to fulfill its purpose:
  • To worship God in proclamation of the Word and administration of the Sacraments;
  • to proclaim God’s saving Gospel of justification by grace through faith alone;
  • to carry out Christ’s Great Commission by reaching out to all people to bring them to faith in Christ;
  • to serve in response to God’s love to meet human needs;
  • to nurture our members in the Word of God; and
  • to manifest the unity given to the people of God.
Our Lutheran History:

 

Lutheran Roots in AmericaWho were the first Lutherans in the new world? Why did they come and what did they find when they got here? From Swedes to Danes to Germans and Norwegians, Lutheran Roots in America recounts the dramatic tale of Lutheran migration to America. You will learn about Muhlenberg, the Saxons, Hans Neilson Hauge, the Salzburgers and others.

  The Story of the ELCA
How did the ELCA start? Find out in this 30 minute documentary from MOSAIC. The video features rare footage and interviews with key leaders from the ELCA’s three predecessor church bodies, the Lutheran Church in America, the American Lutheran Church and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches.Included in the program are portions of interviews with the Rev. James R. Crumley Jr., bishop of the former LCA; Dr. Dorothy Marple, coordinator of the Transition Team for a New Lutheran Church; the Rev. Rev. Robert J. Marshall, LCA president; the Rev. David W. Preus, president of the former ALC; the late Rev. Jacob A. O. Preus, president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS); and the Rev. John H. Tietjen, president of the LCMS Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.